Undergraduate Admissions FAQ

Can I transfer my AP, IB or GCE credits? How long does it take?

It is possible to receive advanced standing credits from your courses. You will have to provide us with the original transcript. You or your school can either mail your original transcripts to our mailing address: 

Webster Vienna Private University
Palais Wenkheim
Praterstrasse 23
1020, Vienna

Or your may bring the original transcripts in person to our admissions team. Transcripts sent via email will not be considered unless the email is sent directly from the school/institution you studied at by a school official. Official transcripts sent by school officials may be sent to: admissions[at]webster.ac.at

Courses are evaluated by our credential specialist in St. Louis and can take a few weeks to be processed.


Do I need to be on campus before classes start?

Please be prepared to arrive at Webster Vienna at least one week before classes start (week 0) due to housing check-in and New Student Orientation. 

Housing: If you have arranged housing at Webster Vienna Private University, please be aware that housing check-in takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday of week 0. If you would like to find detailed information about campus housing, please visit our housing page.

NSO: New Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students and scheduled during week 0. You will meet all fellow students, receive information about Webster Vienna and sign up for your individual appointment with your academic advisor in order to register for classes. To find out the schedule for the NSO, please visit our NSO page.

Please arrange your transportation accordingly, since all students have to arrive in week 0 in order to start classes in week 1.


What are the English language requirements?

In order to qualify for any of Webster University's academic programs, a minimum level in English proficiency is required. To learn more about our language requirements and how to ensure you meet them, please click here.


Do I need a visa to study at WVPU?

Please visit our Visa Information page for more information.


What are the entry dates?

First-time freshman students are encouraged to begin their studies with the Fall 1 and Spring 1 starting dates. However, if classes are available, freshman students are furthermore welcome to start with our Fall 2 and Spring 2 starting dates. First-time freshman students are unfortunately not able to start with the Summer term. 

All Bachelor transfer students - transferring from an accredited university (accredited by the Ministry of Education in your country) - can also start in all of our 5 terms, if classes are available.

Should a student run into visa issues and can not start his/her studies, the starting term will be deferred to the next upcoming term if classes are available. Please check with your Admissions Officer if you have any questions or concerns about deferrals. 

To learn more about the tuition fees, starting terms and required application documents for the Bachelor programs please visit our Undergraduate application website.


Does Webster Vienna offer support for special needs or disabilities?

If you have certain health conditions e.g. learning disabilities, dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, blind or low vision, deaf and hearing loss, and/or other disabilities, please let us know right away so we can assess the situation to find out how we can best accommodate your needs. The earlier we know, the better we can support you. We have procedures in place, so please send us an email about the history of your situation (including any documentation of a psychologist or medical doctor). We are looking forward to working together with you!

Enrolled students who are experiencing emotional or learning difficulties can be assessed using Webster's free psychological testing service.


How can I provide my original transcripts?

The following are various ways of providing your original transcripts:

  • You can send us your transcript per postal services.
  • You can have your school send your transcripts to us per postal services.
  • You can have your school send us a PDF transcript encrypted with a password.
  • You can bring them to us in person.


What is GPA and what does having a minimum 2.5 GPA mean?

GPA stands for “grade point average” and is calculated on a 4.0 scale. Our admissions department converts international grades into the US standard GPA. Please see an example of a conversion chart below:

International Baccalaureate (IB)  Between 25-30 points
GCSE's    5 GCSE's with a C or higher
A/levels   3 A levels with a C or higher
Over a 100% scale Average of 80% or higher
Over an A-F scale Average of a B or higher


What are original/official transcripts?

We require the verification of your original transcript, meaning no scans or copies, but rather the original physical document or an original digital document sent directly from your school.


How many courses can I take per semester?

We suggest between 4 and 6 courses per semester, with a full time student generally ranging between 5 and 6 courses.


Which courses can I take?

A list of available courses for the upcoming terms and semester can be found here.


Do I need to take an entrance exam?

There are no entrance exam requirements.


What should the topic of my essay be?

Your essay should be a minimum of 300 words long, and can be written on one of our suggested topics, found here.


Do I need to take an English proficiency exam?

Yes, undergraduate level applicants must display a proficiency in English by sending us the results to one of our recognized English language exams.
TOEFL iBT - min. overall score of 80
IELTS Academic - min. overall score of 6.0
Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE only) - score A, B, C

Further information


I attended an English speaking high school / hold an American passport. Can I have the English requirement waived?

Yes, English may be waived when:

  1. Applicant is a citizen or has attended within the last three years an institution (and must submit high school transcripts for verification) in one of the following countries:
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Dominica
  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Canada
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales)

Completion of at least one academic year of college-level coursework conducted in English at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning (ESL coursework does not qualify towards the one full year exception)


       2. IB Diploma:

  • HL English A - min. score of 4
  • HL English B - min. score of 5
  • SL English A - min. score of 5
  • SL English B - min. score of 6

Further information


Do I need to send in my SAT or ACT exams?

No, but we do encourage it. It could help strengthen your application overall.


Do I need to send in my Resume/CV?

No, but if you have one including extra-circulars, it could strengthen your application.


How long will it take to graduate with a bachelor's degree?

A bachelor’s degree consists of 128 US credits. Most students take four years to complete their undergraduate degree. However, Webster may award up to 32 credits of advanced standing for a variety of international curriculum including A levels, IB, AP, VWO, Abitur, and French BAC.