Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johannes Pollak
- Director of Webster Vienna Private University
- Professor of Political Science at Webster Vienna Private University
- Head of Research Group “European Integration” at the Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna - currently on leave
- Lecturer at the Universities of Salzburg and Vienna
Courses taught @ WVPU
- Introduction to Political Theory
- Introduction to International Relations
- Introduction to Comparative Politics
- Issues in International Relations: EU Integration
- Research Methods and Perspectives
- International Relations: Theory and Practice
- Habilitation, University of Salzburg 2006
- Dr.phil (University of Vienna, 1996)
- Mag.phil. (University of Vienna, 1991)
- MSc. in Political Theory (London School of Economics, 1997)
- Postgraduate Studies (Austrian Institute for Advanced Studies, 1994)
Background and Facts
After studying political science and philosophy at the University of Vienna and the London School of Economics, Prof. Pollak joined the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Institute for European Integration Research as a research fellow. He later became head of the Department of Political Science at the Institute for Advanced Studies, Vienna. Prof. Pollak's current research mainly revolves around two topics: political representation in liberal democracies with a focus on parliamentarism in the European Union and European energy policy. With his research in the first area, which is based on the approach of the so-called Cambridge School of Historians around Q. Skinner, he wanted to build a bridge between integration studies and political theory. Dr. Pollak's second research focus deals with the protracted development of a European energy policy, which comprises the establishment of a single market for energy as well as questions of energy foreign policy. Having taught at Webster Vienna Private University since 2002, Prof. Pollak joined the university as Senior Research Professor in September 2009, and became Director in 2017.
Monographs and edited volumes
- Creating Political Presence: The New Politics of Democratic Representation, University of Chicago Press, forthcoming in 2018 (jointly with D. Castiglione).
- Representation, Library of contemporary essays in governance and political theory, London and New York, Routledge, 2017 (jointly with C.Lord).
- Energy Policy of the European Union (The European Union Series), Palgrave Macmillan, 2016 (jointly with M. Kreutler and S. Schubert).
- 20 Jahre EU Mitgliedschaft Österreich,WUV/UTB 2015 (jointly with H. Neisser, A. Maurer).
- Das Politische System der EU, Wien: WUV/UTB 2012 (jointly with P. Slominski).
- Die Energiepolitik der EU, Wien: UTB/WUV 2011 (jointly with P.Slominski and S. Schubert).
Selected (Peer Reviewed) Articles
- Two futures: EU-Russia relations in the context of Ukraine, European Journal of Futures Research, 2(1), 2014 (jointly with S. Schubert and E. Brutschin)
- The Silence of the Shepherds – How the Austrian Parliament Informs its Citizens on European Issues, Special issue of the Journal of Legislative Studies, Auel K, Raunio T. (eds), The Journal of Legislative Studies, 20(1), 109-124, 2014 (jointly with P. Slominski).
- The Pitfalls of Representation as Claims-Making, Journal of European Integration, 35(5), 517-530, 2013 (jointly with C. Lord).
- Unequal but Democratic? Equality according to Karlsruhe, Journal of European Public Policy, 20(2), 190-205, 2013 (jointly with C. Lord).
- Die Europapolitik in den Mitgliedstaaten der Europäischen Union: Österreich. In: Weidenfeld, Werner and Wessels, Wolfgang, (eds.) Jahrbuch der Europäischen Integration 2017. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft 2017, (jointly with Auel K.).
- The EU’s South-Eastern Corridor: Lifeline or Pipedream?, in: Turkey as an Energy Hub? Contributions on Turkey’s Role in EU Energy Supply, ed. by M. Schröder/W. Wessels/M. Bettzüge, Nomos Verlag, 2017 (jointly with S. Schubert).
- Österreichische Europa-Politik, in: Jahrbuch für Europäische Integration 2016, ed. by W. Weidenfeld, W. Wessels, Nomos Verlag, 2016 (jointly with K. Auel).
- Möglichkeiten und Grenzen der Mitwirkung der BügerInnen am demokratischen Leben der Union‘, in: 20 Jahre EU-Mitgliedschaft. Einwirkungen des Unionsrechts auf die nationale Rechtsordnung aus rechtswissenschaftlicher, politikwissenschaftlicher und wirtschaftswisenschaftlicher Sicht, ed. by S. Griller, A. Kahl, B. Kneihs, W. Obwexer, Verlag Österreich, 2016, pp.429-450.
- Österreichs Weg in die und in der Europäischen Union, in A. Maurer, H. Neisser and J. Pollak 20 Jahre EU Mitgliedschaft Österreichs, Wien: Facultas, 2015 pp.9-58.
- The European Parliament: Adversary or Accomplice of the new intergovernmentalism?, in U. Puetter et al (eds.) Legislative and Judicial Politics in the Post-Maastricht Era: States, Supranational Actors and the New Intergovernmentalism, Oxford University Press, 2015 (jointly with P.Slominski).
- Which democratic principles? What deficit?, in S.Piattoni (ed.) The European Union: Which Institutional Architecture for Which Democracy? Cambridge University Press, 2015, (jointly with J.E Fossum)
- Compounded Representation in the EU: no country for old parliaments?, in S. Kröger (ed.) Political Representation in the European Union: Still democratic in times of crisis?, Routledge, April 2014.
- EU Parliaments after the Treaty of Lisbon: Towards a parliamentary field?, in: B. Crum and J.E. Fossum (eds.), Practices of Interparliamentary Coordination in International Politics, ECPR Press, August 2013 (jointly with P. Slominski).
- Political Representation and the Common Good: a fragile relationship, in S. Puntscher Riekmann, A. Somek and D. Wydra (eds.), Is there a Common European Good?, Baden-Baden: Nomos, 156-173, 2013.