Youth Combating Discrimination and Prejudice on Grounds of Ethnicity and Religion
Panel Discussion hosted by the Academic Ccouncil of the United Nations (ACUNS) and Webster Vienna Private University
Tuesday, September 6th , 17:00
Webster Vienna Private University, Praterstrasse 23, 1020 Wien
Almost every country in the world includes persons belonging to national, ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities. According to the Office of the United Nations High Commisioner for Human Rights, minorities are on many occasions among the most disadvantaged groups in society. Their members are often subject to discrimination and injustice and excluded from meaningful participation in public and political life. For a number of reasons, including history, political and social factors, minorities around the world are perceived and treated differently by the societies they live in. Consequently, their level of political participation as well as their economic and social integration varies from country to country. Young people can act as agents of social change and they can build the capacity of their communities to raise their voices and represent themselves.
The panellists will discuss how civic engagement and participation of young people – specifically those stemming from minorities – can help to advance their communities and promote non-discrimination, equality and development for minority groups. The discussion will also address the fundamental issue of promoting cooperation and solidarity among young people belonging to different ethnic and religious groups. Activities and work areas of existing inter-religious and inter-ethnic initiatives as well as cooperation projects will be presented. Concluding, forward-looking recommendations for cooperation and dialogue will be offered.
- (Chair) Dr. Franco Algieri, International Relations Department Head, Webster Vienna Private University
- Mag. Alev Korun, Member of the Austrian Parliament, Chair of Human Rights Committee in Parliament
- HE Oľga Algayerova, Head of the Permanent Mission of the Slovak Republic to the International Organisations in Vienna
- Ms. Sheena Keller, Research Officer at Equality and Citizens' Rights Department, Fundamental Rights Agency
- Ms. Irina Spataru, Romano Centro
- Dr. Alexander Karakas, Dr. Alexander Karakas, StartUp-Entrepreneur, Founder of Not in God's Name, Co-Founder of Trialog-Respect Now
- Ms. Veronika Bezinsky, ACUNS
Registration required! Please RSVP below by Sunday, September 4th.
Photo: Children by Shazron (CC by 2.0)