Dr. Manuela Caiani
- Adjunct Professor of Political Science, Webster Vienna Private University
- Assistant Professor of the Political Science Department, Institute for Advanced Studies
- Member of Cosmos (Centre for Social Movements Studies, European University of Florence)
Country of Origin: Italy
Courses taught at Webster:
- The Art of Case Studies and Textual Analysis
- Ph.D. in Political Science (University of Florence, 2006)
- Laurea (BA) in Political Science (University of Florence, 2001)
Background and Facts
After studying political science at the University of Florence, she received her PhD from the University of Florence (2002-2005) and she worked as post-doc research assistant for four years at the European University Institute in Florence (2005-2009) together with Prof. Donatella della Porta. Dr. Caiani has worked on several comparative projects on collective action and European mobilization and on right wing extremism and violence.
She has been awarded by several research grants, among which the European Commission Marie Curie fellowship for a project on ‘Disengagement from Terrorism: underground organizations in Spain and Italy’, a Research Grant Jubiläumsfonds, received from the OeNB (Österreichische National Bank) for the project “The Dark Side of the Web: Right-Wing Political Radicalization Using the Internet (2011-2012) and the Lazarsfeld Award (2012), for the contribution to the co-authored volume Caiani et al. 2012, “Mobilizing on the Extreme Right: Germany, Italy, and the United States”, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
Her main research interests concern social movements and collective action, right wing extremism in Europe, Europeanization and the public sphere. In September 2009 she joined the "Institut für Höhere Studien" (IHS) - Institute for Advanced Studies - as assistant professor. Dr. Caiani appears frequently on TV and radio, particularly on political extremism and Italian politics.
She works as a reviewer for peer reviewed journals such as "Terrorism and Political Violence"; "RIS" (Italian Review of Sociology); "European Journal of Political Research"; "Lexington Publishers"; "RISP" (Italian Journal of Political Science); "Sociology Compass"; "Mobilisation": "An International Journal"; "Information"; "Communication and Society"; "South European Society and Politics"; "International Sociology"; "Research in Social Movements"; "Conflicts and Change"; "Journal of Common Market Studies"; "Journal Perspectives on European Politics and Society"; "Palgrave".
- Manuela Caiani and Linda Parenti, 2013, European and American Extreme Right Groups and the Internet, Ashgate.
- Manuela Caiani, Donatella della Porta and Claudius Wagemann, 2012, Mobilizing on the Extreme Right: Germany, Italy, and the United States, Oxford, Oxford University press.
- Donatella della Porta and Manuela Caiani, 2009, Social Movements and Europeanisation, Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Caiani, M. and Conti, N., 2014, “In the Name of the People: The Euroscepticism of the Italian Radical Right”, Perspectives on European Politics and Society, 15:2, pp. 183-197.
- Caiani M. and Borri, R., 2013, “The Extreme Right, Violence and Other Action Repertoires: An Empirical Study on two European Countries”, in Perspectives on European Politics and Society, Vol. 14, Issue 4, pp. 562-581.