V-Day Event Raises Funds

Webster Vienna community came together to help stop violence against women, as students and staff put on a V-DAY 2017 performance on campus.

The performance entailed monologues read from the book, " A MEMORY, A MONOLOGUE, A RANT AND A PRAYER: Writings to Stop Violence Against Women and Girls." The event was a unique experience as students and staff made up the group of performers. The director of the event, graduate IR student Julia Zimmerman, had the initiative to bring V-Day to Webster after she performed in and then directed, “The Vagina Monologues” by Eve Ensler in her undergraduate years.  

“I love the idea of combining art and activism, and this is the perfect opportunity to do just that. When I saw the chance to bring the show to Webster, I was very excited,” Zimmerman explained.

She added, “Ending violence against women and girls is not an easy task, but artistic movements like these are a huge part of helping change the world."

V-Day raised 780 euros, 90 percent of which will be donated to  LEFÖ in Vienna, an organization that supports migrant women during the migration process, work to end the trafficking of women, and support women in sex work, among other efforts. The remaining 10% will go to the V-DAY organization.

Thank you to the performers: Martin Ségur-Cabanac, Katy Witkowski , Matthew Poet, Gundi Esslinger, Estefanía González, Ekim Luo, Daisy James-Weidner, Noel Dulaku, Ruxandra Dragomir, and Diana Vulpescu.

This event was sponsored by the Student Resource Center.