With a variety of courses and degree options to choose from, planning your academic future can be a challenge. To help you get the most out of your degree, you will be assigned a faculty advisor to provide academic guidance throughout your entire program of study. Being experts in their fields, they are an ideal resource to give advice based on the specifics and the content of your major. In order to ensure that your advisor will be able to dedicate sufficient time to your advising needs, please make sure to ALWAYS make an appointment using the starfish system and come prepared.
Please keep in mind that your faculty advisor WILL NOT be able to assist you with the following:
- Financial matters: please contact Mrs. Carina Starlinger-Mazelle at carina.starlinger-mazelle[at]webster.ac.at
- Transcripts for transfer credits (both graduate and undergraduate) from other institutions must be processed through the admissions department at admissions[at]webster.ac.at
- Certificates of Enrollment along with other official WVPU documents (should be requested at reception)
- Questions regarding visas (initial application and renewals), health insurance, study abroad, and housing should be directed to the Student Resource Center
- Career Services will help you with questions concerning your professional development
- For issues of a personal nature that might require Counseling Services
- If you should need special academic accommodations please contact Learning Support Services
Getting started: Tools You'll Need:
To find your faculty advisor and make an appointment with your faculty advisor. Watch this video to learn more about Starfish.
Don’t forget to set your profile to the correct time zone!
3. Major Roadmap(s)
To view Vienna-specific requirements for your major – beware prerequisites!
How to register for classes:
- Check your degree audit in connections and consult your major roadmap for the courses you need to complete in the major.
- Check your degree audit in connections and consult your GCP worksheet for the courses you need to complete in the GCP or your minor.
- Check Courses@WVPU for courses on offer in the upcoming term or semester and compare those to the courses you still need to complete. Notes on cross-listing, course prerequisites, and scheduling irregularities for each course can be found at the bottom of the screen.
- If a course fulfills a GCP requirement, a note with the knowledge area and the skill area will be listed in [brackets] behind the course name (ex. Design Concepts [ARTS/OCOM])
- Choose courses and complete the Registration Planning Sheet;
- Course selections should adhere to all prerequisite requirements as indicated on the schedule and should be free of time conflicts.
- If you choose a course scheduled as TBA, please also provide an alternate course.
- Using Starfish, make an appointment with your faculty advisor to discuss your course selection and registration;
- Make sure to schedule any appointments at least 24 hours in advance.
- Bring your completed Registration Planning Sheet to the meeting.
- After receiving your faculty advisor’s approval, please submit this form to your department coordinator(s).
Registration Deadlines Academic Year 19/20
- Graduates / Seniors: February 22nd 2019
- Juniors: March 1st 2019
- Freshmen / Sophomores March 8th 2019
- Graduates / Seniors: March 29th 2019
- Juniors: April 5th 2019
- Freshmen / Sophomores April 12th 2019
- Graduates / Seniors: October 25th 2019
- Juniors: October 31st 2019
- Freshmen / Sophomores November 8th 2019
Deadline to ADD a course: Friday of Week 1 in any term/semester
Deadline to DROP a course: Friday of Week 2 in any term/semester
After Week 2 classes can ONLY be withdrawn*
- UG: up to the Friday of week 6 of an 8-week course // week 12 of a semester course
- GR: week 6 of a 9-week course
*In accordance with the refund schedule given here, students who withdraw from a course will only receive a partial refund or no refund at all. A withdrawn course will be noted as a “W” on the permanent record. A withdrawn course is not considered in GPA calculations.
Information, forms and guidelines for your undergraduate or graduate thesis can be found here:
- Business & Management Department: Graduate & Undergraduate
- International Relations Department: Graduate & Undergraduate
- Psychology Department: Graduate & Undergraduate
- Media Communications Department: Senior Thesis & Portfolio Review
Students interested in studying abroad should first consult the Student Resource Center in room 3.03 to see whether they are eligible and familiarize themselves with the administrative process. The course planning itself will once again be done together with your faculty advisor.
Students Studying Abroad in Vienna
If you are a visiting study abroad student, please visit Dorothy Kishbaugh in Room 1.03 if any adjustments to your schedule need to be made. For any other questions or concerns, please visit the Student Resource Center in room 3.03.
As a student at Webster Vienna Private University your major field of study will determine the department of your faculty advisor. As outlined above, this advisor will be your main source of academic advice for your major, but they will also guide you through the GCP and any potential minor or double major combinations.
For general questions regarding the program or your department, you will have the individual department coordinators there to help you. Each of these coordinators is familiar with the academic programs and will be able to provide you with orientation to the various services available at WVPU.
In particular, your department coordinator will be able to help you with
- General questions about the program and the department
- Keeping you updated on departmental events
- Remaining informed about changes in the academic policies or program requirements
- Picking up and submitting drop and withdrawal forms
- Picking up and submitting add forms that have been signed by your faculty advisor
- The administrative process of the thesis
- Submitting your petition to graduate
We highly recommend to regularly check your department’s homepage
- Department coordinators: Ms. Dorothy Kishbaugh at dorothy.kishbaugh[at]webster.ac.at
and Mr. Adam Louis Troldahl at adam.troldahl[at]webster.ac.at
- Department coordinator: Ms. Katharina Neumann at katharina.neumann[at]webster.ac.at
- Department coordinator: Ms. Alexandra Elias at alexandra.elias[at]webster.ac.at
- Department coordinator: Ms. Nataly Loumba at nataly.loumba[at]webster.ac.at