Graduate Admissions FAQ

What are the entry requirements?

Please see all entry requirements here.


Do I need to be on campus before classes start?

Please be prepared to arrive at Webster Vienna at least one week before classes start (week 0) due to housing check-in and New Student Orientation. 

Housing: If you have arranged housing at Webster Vienna Private University, please be aware that housing check-in takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday of week 0. If you would like to find detailed information about campus housing, please visit our housing page.

NSO: New Student Orientation is mandatory for all incoming students and scheduled during week 0. You will meet all fellow students, receive information about Webster Vienna and sign up for your individual appointment with your academic advisor in order to register for classes. To find out the schedule for the NSO, please visit our NSO page.

Please arrange your transportation accordingly, since all students have to arrive in week 0 in order to start classes in week 1.


What are the English language requirements?

In order to qualify for any of Webster University's academic programs, a minimum level in English proficiency is required. To learn more about our language requirements and how to ensure you meet them, please click here.


Do I need a visa to study at WVPU?

Please visit our Visa Information page for more information


What are the entry dates?

MA in Counseling Psychology - there are two starting dates per year: August (Fall 1) and January (Spring 1).

All other graduate (Master) students are expected to start Fall 1 (Aug.) and Spring 1 (Jan.). If students have visa issues, we can look into individual cases to see which upcoming starting term is available.

All MBA students are expected to have at least 2 years of relevant work experience. To find out more, please visit our Application Instructions - Graduate page.



Does Webster Vienna offer support for special needs or disabilities?

If you have certain health conditions e.g. learning disabilities, dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, blind or low vision, deaf and hearing loss, and/or other disabilities, please let us know right away so we can assess the situation to find out how we can best accommodate your needs. The earlier we know, the better we can support you. We have procedures in place, so please send us an email about the history of your situation (including any documentation of a psychologist or medical doctor). We are looking forward to working together with you!

Enrolled students who are experiencing emotional or learning difficulties can be assessed using Webster's free psychological testing service.



What is GPA and what does having a minimum 2.5 GPA mean?

GPA stands for “grade point average” and is calculated on a 4.0 scale. We here in the admissions department convert international grades into the US standard GPA. Please see an example of a conversion chart below:

Over a 100% scale Average of 80% or higher
Over an A-F scale   Average of a B or higher

Can I transfer my current university credits? How long does it take?

If you are currently attending an accredited university or have attended an accredited university, it is possible to receive transfer credits from your courses. You will have to provide us with the original transcript. Courses are evaluated by our credential specialist in St. Louis and can take a few weeks to be processed.

How can I provide my original transcripts?

The following are various ways of providing your original transcripts: You can send us your transcript per postal services. You can have your school send your transcripts to us per postal services. You can have your school send us a PDF transcript encrypted with a password. You can bring them to us in person.

What are original/official transcripts?

We require the verification of your original transcript, meaning no scans or copies, but rather the original physical document or an original digital document sent directly from your school.


How many courses can I take per semester?

You may take a maximum of 2 courses per semester.


Which courses can I take?

A list of available courses for the upcoming terms and semester can be found here.


Do I need to take an entry exam?

There are no entry exam requirements. However, some programs require prerequisites. Please find individual prerequisite requirements below:


What should the topic of my essay be?

Your essay should be a minimum of 600 words and written on the topic listed under your preferred program, found here.


Do I need to take an English proficiency exam?

Yes, graduate level applicants must display a proficiency in English by sending us the results to one of our recognized English language exams. Accepted exams for admission include a TOEFL with a minimum score of 80, an IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 overall, or a Cambridge Advanced Certificate.
•    TOEFL iBT - min. overall score of 80
•    IELTS Academic - min. overall score of 6.5
•    Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE only) - score A or B


I went to an English speaking University/hold an American passport. Can I have the English requirement waived?

Yes, citizens of English speaking countries (including but not limited to, The U.S.A., The U.K., Australia, New Zealand and Canada excluding Quebec) may have the English requirement waived. You may also have the English requirement waived if you completed at least one year of college-level coursework at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning whose primary language of instruction is English.


Do I need to send in my Resume/CV?

Yes, with the most up-to-date work experience and references.