FAQ – Students

Question Index




Life on campus

Living in Vienna

Study Abroad




Academic policies

Change in Minimum Required US Credit Hours

Questions about your class

Finding Support: Advisors & Department Coordinators


Transfer Credits

Degree Audit

Major / Minor

Graduation Requirements

Registration, Add &Drop

Global Citizenship Program

Dual accreditation

Online Courses

Official Documents and Records







What is Connections?

Connections is a web portal, a single point of access to many of the online services that Webster University offers. It integrates email, the online component of courses, your academic record and more into a single web-based interface that can be accessed from any internet-capable device, using a single user ID and password (your Connections ID). 

For more information, please see: Connections FAQs
To access connections: connections.webster.edu 

What is a Connections ID?

It is an ID that is assigned to every Webster student, staff, or faculty. It provides access to most of our electronic systems, including e-mail, Office 365, Adobe Cloud and the Connections web portal. Example: If your Webster email address is johndoe123@webster.edu, your Connections ID would be johndoe123.

For more information, please see: Connections FAQs
To access connections: connections.webster.edu

How do I log in to Connections?

Go to this address in your browser: connections.webster.edu 
Enter your Connections ID for your username (your Connections ID is the first part of your Webster email address - everything before the@ sign.) Enter your Connections password - this is always the same as your Office 365 password. 
Click Login

How do I reset my Connections password?

Connections passwords are managed by Office 365. Your Connections password will always be the same as your Office 365 password. To reset your Connections password, go to the Office 365 password reset page here.



What is WorldClassRoom (powered by Canvas)?

All classes that meet face-to-face have a course home page in WorldClassRoom (aka Canvas). Webster Vienna Private University uses WorldClassRoom as an online platform to enhance learning in traditional classes.  Some of the features your Lecturer may choose to include are email messaging, discussion boards, grades, uploaded reference materials and slides, quizzes, and online syllabi, etc. 

You can access your courses via the student tab in connections at http://connections.webster.edu or you can log in directly at: https://worldclassroom.webster.edu/login/.

For additional information on how to use WorldClassRoom please visit the following useful links:

  • WorldClassRoom: Online Course Tour (Note: This is a tour of an online course, rather than a web-enhanced class.  Not all features will be used for traditional web-enhanced classes) 
  • WorldClassRoom FAQs:  Find the answers to your specific WorldClassRoom questions through the FAQ site. The site is searchable by keyword and contains step-by-step instructions on how to perform many common functions in WorldClassRoom.

What is Office 365? How do I access it?

Webster's Microsoft Office 365 subscription gives students, faculty, and staff online access to the Microsoft Office applications from nearly any device. 

As a Webster University student, faculty or staff member, you also can download and install the full MS Office 2016 suite (includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) for free on multiple personal devices. You will also gain access to Office 365, the cloud versions of these products, as well as 1 TB of online file storage space in OneDrive. 

Office 365 also provides important technical tools that Webster Information Technology is adopting, such as user password management and email. For this reason, it is mandatory that you complete the Office 365 registration process.   

What is the Student Success Portal (Starfish)?

The Student success portal enables you to communicate with and make appointments with your advisor and to see what academic services are available to you. You can log in to the Student Success Portal through Connections and WorldClassRoom. 

Which software is available to WVPU students?

  • The Office 365 suite of software is available to WVPU students, including Outlook, OneDrive Word, Excel, Power Point, OneNote, SharePoint, Teams, Class Notebook, and more. Please see here on how to access Office 365. 
  • Adobe Creative Cloud applications (accessible from Webster University owned computers), including: Adobe Acrobat; Distiller; InCopy; Media Encoder; Scout; After Effects; Audition; Character Animator; Dreamweaver; Animate; InDesign; Illustrator; Bridge; Lightroom; Lightroom classic; Photoshop; Premiere Pro; Prelude; Premiere Rush. See here for information on accessing Adobe Creative Cloud. 
  • Additional software available in the Computer Labs : 
  1. Media players and editors: VLC, quicktime, MPEG Streamclip, Audacity, VirtualDub, ELAN (annotation tool for audio and video recordings)
  2. Research and Reference management software: Mendeley, Zotero
  3. Statistics: IBM SPSS Statistics 25, IBM SPSS Amos 25, JASP, RStudio
  4. For behavioral and neuroscience research: Noldus FaceReader (facial recognition), The Observer, PsychoPy3, BioTrace+ (or biofeedback, neurofeedback, qEEG and physiological research, Praat (For speech analysis)
  5. Notepad++ (source code editor) 
  6. Darkest Hour (Computer game) 
  8. Netop Vision Pr (digital classroom management)
  • Software available in the MacLab
  1. MS office 2016 applications 
  2. Adobe CC applications 
  3. Media players and editors: VLC, Audacity, Final Cut pro (Video editing software)
  4. Slack (cloud-based collaboration and exchange tool)
  5. Blender (3D computer graphics software)
  6. iWork Suite: Pages, Numbers, Keynote

Qualtrics web-based survey software is available to all students, faculty, and staff. You will need to request access, see here for more details. 

Students are eligible to purchase discounted software via https://www.journeyed.com/.You will just have to create an account using your Webster email. 

Where can I get help using or learning a new software program?

Technology training is available for all students, faculty, and staff via LinkedIn Learning. Instructional videos are available on a broad range of subjects, including business skills, photography, design, music and video, home computing, animation, and web design and development and are taught by recognized industry experts. Watch entire courses or single tutorial videos, as you need them. Exercise files let you follow along with the instruction as you learn, and bookmarks help you keep track of what you would like to watch. 

For more information, and to access LinkedIn Learning, visit the WebsterLearns site (Office 365 login required). 

How can I print?

Use of the printers on campus is free to currently enrolled students; both wireless and network printing are available. 

  • To print from a Webster computer, select “\\VIENSRVPRINT\FollowYou” from the list of printers.
  • At the printer, you can log in with your ID card and any jobs sent to the printer will be visible.
  • Instructions for printing from your own devices (wireless printing) 





Life on campus

Do I get discounts for being a part of Webster Vienna?

Yes, all members of the Webster Vienna community have discounts available at local restaurants, spas, and stores. A complete list of discount program partners are available here.

For more information, contact the Student Resource Center at student.services@webster.ac.at

I have a complaint. Where do I go?

You are always welcome to speak with the Director and Associate Director in person. To set up an appointment, please contact office.director@webster.ac.at.  If you would prefer to give anonymous feedback, please use our Virtual Suggestion Box

How can I get involved on campus? Are there any clubs available?

There are many ways to get involved at Webster Vienna. From co-curricular certificate programs to clubs and organizations, our vibrant community offers many opportunities to make the most out of your college experience.

  • LEADS: Webster Vienna LEADS is a co-curricular leadership certificate program that aims to provide the theoretical foundation and practical leadership experience needed to prepare you for your future as a global leader. All students can join LEADS by making an appointment with the Student Resource Center by emailing student.services@webster.ac.at. More information on the program is available here.
  • Student Government Association (SGA): The Student Government Association is Webster Vienna’s representation in the Austrian Student Union, an umbrella organization in which all students are represented. All students can join the SGA, either by applying for a leadership position or participating in one of the many student clubs on campus. Email sga@webster.ac.at or visit the organization’s website for more information.
  • Clubs: The SGA sponsors clubs through which Webster Vienna students can explore different hobbies and activities. From sports like soccer and volleyball to academic topics like psychology and philosophy, there are many opportunities to explore new topics and activities. More information on the current list of clubs is available here.

What services are available on Campus?

  • Student Counseling Services

The Student Counseling Services provide students with individual counseling sessions and workshops on stress reduction, relaxation techniques, time management and more. More information can be found here. Schedule an appointment by emailing counseling@webster.ac.at.

  • Language Center

The Language Center is dedicated to the development of linguistic proficiency and literacy in academic, professional and personal contexts. The Language Center offers both individual and small group tutoring sessions, language proficiency test preparation (IELTS and TOEFL), and foreign language program development and supervision. More information can be found here.

  • Quant Center 

The Quant Center is a set of dedicated professors in every academic departments who have a deep understanding of statistics and various research methods. Visit any of the professors listed here hours for assistance.

  • Student Resource Center

The Student Resource Center is a hub of extracurricular activity, leadership, and general resources at Webster Vienna. From campus-wide events like Spirit Week and Webster’s Got Talent, to getting all students ready to begin their academic careers at Webster Vienna through Orientation, the Student Resource Center is here to help students with whatever they need. If you don’t know where to go, the Student Resource Center can guide you in the right direction. For any assistance, please email student.services@webster.ac.at.   

  • Career and Placement Service

The Career and Placement Service at Webster Vienna is here to accompany you on your journey to a successful career. We use many tools to help you successfully compete in the job market including, among others, individual career coaching, access to career lunches and workshops, connections to job and internship opportunities, and information and links to job search resources.

In order to best serve your interests, we cooperate with the online platform JOBTEASER, a specially dedicated career service for students and the companies that want to hire them. Sign up using your webster.edu email address here, or download the app Google Play or the Apple App Store



Living in Vienna

I’m not from Austria, a European Union country, or the European Economic Area. Do I need a student visa?

Yes, you do. Visit our visa page for more information in the required documents for a first-time application. Please note that Webster Vienna can only provide anecdotal advice and cannot act as a power of attorney for any student seeking a student residence permit in Austria.

I’m having trouble with my residence permit renewal application. Who can help me?

The Student Resource Center can provide basic anecdotal advice on student residence permit renewal applications. If your situation is complicated, we refer students to the Austrian Student Union’s Office for Foreign Students or to Helping Hands, which helps students only by appointment.

Please keep all original documents, communications, and envelopes from the immigration authorities.

What kind of health insurance can I get in Austria?

All students of Austrian universities can sign up for the Austrian Social Health Insurance (Oesterreichischer Gebietskrankenkasse) without concern for preexisting conditions. If you have a student job, you may need to pay a higher monthly rate. Please see the Austrian Health Insurance website for more information in German. This insurance is accepted by the immigration authorities for any student residence permit application. 

Students can also choose private health insurance. Feel Safe offers a number of short and long-term private health insurance packages through Uniqa, a European insurance company. Private health insurance companies can choose not to insure you based on preexisting conditions, or to not cover care for preexisting conditions. 

It is important to note that some private health insurance packages are not accepted by the immigration authorities as sufficient to fulfill the requirements of a student residence permit. The requirements can change without notice to the applicant. It is always important to ask the insurance company before signing up for private health insurance.

How can I find a doctor?

There are many ways to find a doctor to meet your needs. In Austria, general practitioners (Hausarzt) are the first doctors to visit for any illness. In some cases, you can go directly to a specialist (dentists, etc). If you don’t already have a preferred doctor, you can visit one of the following websites to find a doctor that accepts your health insurance, is in a good location for you and meets your language needs:

  • Docfinder.at: search by location, specialty, languages spoken, ratings from patients and opening hours. The website is in German.
  • Praxisplan.at: The Medical Board of Vienna’s website offers searches by name, specialty, location, gender, opening hours and more. 

I’m sick and it’s Sunday/a public holiday. What do I do?

  • ÄrzteFunkdienst: This is a service covered by the public health insurance that covers home visits by doctors for urgent (but not emergency) health concerns. They also operate a clinic open on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays from 8:00 until 20:00 at 1150 Vienna, Pillergasse 20. You can reach this service by dialing 141. 
  • You can visit one of the emergency rooms at a local hospital (Ambulanz) for the specialty that you need help with. You can also visit the general emergency room (Allgemeines Ambulanz) for general assistance. For a list of general emergency rooms, see here.
  • Docaroundtheclock: provides English-language doctor house calls 24 hours a day. Note that this is a private service not covered by public health insurance. 

What are the local emergency numbers?

You can always check specific numbers here, but a few main contact numbers are:

  • Police: 133
  • Emergency Medical Services: 144
  • Fire Fighters: 122
  • European Emergency Number (for everything): 112
  • Emergency Health Line: 1450
  • Mountain Emergency: 140
  • Women’s Emergency Helpline: 01 717 19
  • Emergency Psychiatric Counseling: 01 313 30

How can I get a public transport ticket in Vienna?

Students at Austrian universities (that are under 26 and living within Vienna) are eligible for semester tickets for Wiener Linien, the city’s award-winning public transport system. For more information, please see here.

In order to get one, students should bring their Bestätigung der Meldung (formerly Meldezettel) that shows that their main residence is within Vienna’s city limits, their Certificate of Enrollment (available at the front desk at the beginning of every semester), a valid ID document, their student ID, and the application form to any Wiener Linien ticket office. 

Semester public transport tickets are valid only with a valid student ID and are applicable during the Austrian semester calendar (September – January, February – June). Students can also receive discounted summer month tickets.

Students over 26 do not qualify for the discounted semester tickets. The yearly public transport ticket may be the most economical for students over 26.

Where should I live while studying at Webster Vienna?

While Webster Vienna does not have a dormitory and does not act on behalf of students in finding housing, we do offer discounts at nearby dormitories and housing complexes that all students can use. Please visit our housing website for updated information on discount codes and complexes at which we have discounts available.

I would like to work in Austria after graduating. What are my next steps? How can I get a work permit?

Many students want to work in Austria after graduation, but those who required a student visa for their studies will require another residence permit granting the right to work. 

Students who graduate with an Austrian accredited degree have the opportunity to apply for a RedWhiteRed Card for Austrian university graduates. The RedWhiteRed Card entitles its holder to temporary settlement and employment with a specific employer. In order to obtain it, you must have already received a suitable job offer. The job must correspond to the applicant’s qualifications and be paid adequately and comply with the special eligibility criteria. Please review the application requirements here.

If you are still looking for a job and have already graduated, you can apply once for a renewal of your student residence permit for another 12 months for job-seeking purposes before your residence permit expires. 

For help in finding a job, please visit our Career Services


Study Abroad

What opportunities are there to study abroad?

Studying abroad, or temporarily studying at another campus with the intention to graduate from Webster Vienna, is a unique opportunity. There are multiple options to study abroad, either at one of the other Webster University campuses, including at other Webster University campuses, with some of our global partners, as well as with via the Erasmus program. 

If you find a program that is not listed above, contact student.services@webster.ac.at for assistance in applying to nonaffiliated programs.

How do I apply for a study abroad semester?

  • Start thinking about studying abroad about one year (2 semesters) before you actually want to go. This will give you ample time to learn about all the resources available to you, how it affects your studies at Webster Vienna, and organize any visa or residence permits required at your chosen location.
  • Contact both your academic advisor and the Student Resource Center as soon as you are interested in going and before you submit any application. 
  • The application process for studying abroad (except for Erasmus+ program) can be found here.
  • Students interested in applying for the Erasmus+ program for Fall must do so by April 15 and for Spring by October 1. For more information, see: http://webster.ac.at/student-mobility and get in touch with erasmus@webster.ac.at.

After you’ve applied, you should continue to stay in contact with your academic advisor at Webster Vienna to make sure that you can still register for the courses you need upon your return. Also keep in mind that you are also responsible for keeping your Austrian residence permit valid throughout your studies, including if you study abroad elsewhere.

Are there scholarships available to study abroad?

  • Funding is available for Erasmus+ applicants to help cover additional living costs abroad. The funding varies between €360 – € 460 per month depending on the country of destination.
  • WWTP (Webster World Travel Program) covers a roundtrip ticket (up to €1,000) to a study abroad location outside Europe. This scholarship is valid only for other Webster campuses and global partner universities (NOT Erasmus+ partner institutions).
  • Other scholarships are listed here. Webster Vienna students might be eligible for the following:
  1. The Next Century Leaders Endowed Scholarship Fund (a.k.a. The Centennial Scholarship)
  2. Leif J. Sverdrup Scholarship
  3. The Dr. Roy Tamashiro Endowed Travel Scholarship

*(not applicable for Erasmus+ programs)

Can studying abroad affect my dually accredited degree?

Yes, studying abroad can affect the Austrian accredited degree you receive. For undergraduate students, in order to receive an Austrian accredited degree, 70% of credits and 75% of major courses as well as 30 of the last 36 credits must be completed at Webster Vienna. Graduate students must successfully complete 75% of total ECTS including a thesis at WVPU to earn a dually accredited degree. Both graduate and undergraduate cases, credits earned elsewhere or by other means (e.g. transfer, online, placement, aptitude tests, or study abroad) do not count as credits earned at Webster Vienna. Students that successfully complete any program, but do not fulfill the conditions for dual accreditation, will only receive the US-accredited degree. 

Please see your academic advisor if you have questions regarding your specific case. 

What is a site transfer?  How can I apply for a site transfer?

Students who start studying at Webster Vienna might decide to complete their degree at a different Webster location. This is a site transfer. Study abroad signifies that students want to complete their degree at Webster Vienna.

To site transfer, students need to submit a Site Transfer request to the Student Resource Center before the stated deadlines. When a student site transfers, they will no longer have the ability to receive official documents from Webster Vienna and will no longer be considered a student at Webster Vienna. 

Students who wish to complete their degrees online also need to follow the site transfer procedures.



I have witnessed or experienced inappropriate conduct at Webster Vienna. What should I do?

The Student Code of Conduct is the set of community standards to which all members of the Webster Vienna community need to adhere. It outlines students’ rights and responsibilities, as well as behavior considered inappropriate as a student and member of the Webster Vienna community. The Code of Conduct also outlines in detail the hearing and disciplinary procedures that can occur as a result of a breach of the code of conduct.  

Violations of the code of conduct can be made at the Office of the Director. Please email office.director@webster.ac.at in order to make a report.  

Please note that sexual misconduct are handled differently than Student Code of Conduct violations. 

Academic Honesty violations are also handled differently.  If you would like to report an instance of cheating, you can do so via cheat.report@webster.ac.at

What happens if I see or experience sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is any unwanted behavior of a sexual nature. Sexual misconduct reports are handled under a different procedure than Student Code of Conduct violations. This can include, but is not limited to, sexual harassment, rape, sharing of private photos or videos digitally, unwanted advances, unwanted touching, or stalking.

Reports of sexual misconduct are handled under the US-based law on discrimination called Title IX.

Any member of the Webster Vienna community can witness or hear about sexual misconduct. There are a number of on-campus resources available

These coordinators on campus have been trained to hear reports and follow procedures in order to address reports of sexual misconduct. The Sexual Assault Advocate is a confidential resource, meaning that anyone can talk to the Sexual Assault Advocate without moving forward in an investigation. The Deputy Title IX Coordinators need to follow any reports with an investigation and potential hearings. 

Where can I report cheating?

If you would like to report cheating, you can do so via cheat.report@webster.ac.at.  This report goes to the Office of Academic Affairs, and your identity will be kept confidential from both the faculty member and the student accused of cheating. 

My instructor did not show up for class. What should I do?

Please check your webster.edu email address as well as Canvas for any possible messages from your instructor. Then you should wait fifteen minutes to allow for any delays. If your instructor has still not arrived, you are free to go. However, please notify the respective Department Head or coordinators, or if they are not available, the Office of the Director.



Academic policies

What are Webster Vienna’s academic policies?

Our academic policies are designed to provide the highest quality education and service to students. Our policies are based on both the American and Austrian education systems. Please find a listing of policies at http://webster.ac.at/academic-policies.

General baseline policies may also be found in the Student Handbook and the undergraduate and graduate catalogs. Supplemental Austrian policies may be found in the WVPU ConstitutionStudy and Examination Guidelines of Webster Vienna Private University, and Thesis Guidelines for Students at Webster Vienna Private University.

What is the attendance policy for my class?

Please see our academic policies at: http://webster.ac.at/academic-policies.

The instructor sets attendance requirements and students are expected to actively participate in all of their scheduled courses. The instructors’ policy for attendance should be communicated on the course syllabus under “Course Policies”. 

Students who do not attend the first session of any course and do not communicate their absence to the instructor prior to the first session may be dropped from the course to free up space for those on a waiting list. 

What if my travel is disrupted and I am unable to make it to my class in Vienna?

You can study remotely via WorldClassRoom, but are still expected to attend all lectures (online) and complete all assignments.  You must inform the professor to guarantee that lectures are presented synchronously online. 

What is the add & drop policy?

Please see WVPU’s page on course Add, Drop, and Withdrawal. Also, please see the question below, How do I add or drop a class? 

How can I dispute a grade?

For the grade appeal process, see section 3, Course assessment appeals, of the Study and Examination Guidelines of Webster Vienna Private University.

If a solution cannot be found in consultation with the instructor or, subsequently, the respective department head within a three month period, students may submit a formal appeal to the Examination Committee at academic.appeals@webster.ac.at. The student is expected to provide all the necessary materials (graded work, term papers, etc.) as well as the reasons for the appeal in writing to the committee. After receiving this material, the committee will render a decision and inform the student within a matter of four weeks.

What is the grading policy? How are courses assessed?

For information on how courses are assed and grading standards, please see section 2, Course assessment standards and norms and section 6, Grading standards of Webster University and their Austrian equivalents, of the Study and Examination Guidelines of Webster Vienna Private University. 

Information on the breakdown of your grade in your class should be clearly stipulated on your course syllabus. 

What is the policy for late work and Incomplete (I) grades?

Please see our academic policies at: http://webster.ac.at/academic-policies.

Incomplete grades negatively affect your academic progress, course sequencing, retention, and graduation plans and should be avoided. Incompletes are only applied when you have completed most of the required coursework and have agreed to deliver the remaining components in a short and manageable timeline. As a matter of fairness and equality, all students are required to turn in all missing work no later than the last week of the term. Instructors will not award Incompletes in lieu of earning failing grades. If you have not provided enough coursework to pass the course by the grading deadline, instructors will assign a grade of F and not an Incomplete. If you have delivered only partial work, you will be given the grade that you earned so far according to the same scale as all other students in the class.


Change in Minimum Required US Credit Hours 

What changes were made and why? 

Two changes were made to the requirements for the US-accredited degree:  first, the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements of a minimum of 128 US credits were changed to 120.  In addition, the maximum of 98 US transfer credits were lowered to 90 to align with the new minimum and the residency requirement. 
This change was unanimously recommended by the Webster University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC) to the Faculty Senate in November 2019. In December 2019, the Webster University Faculty Senate approved the change, which was followed by an approval by Academic Affairs and the Office of the President in January 2020.  

Does this mean I can only take 120 Credits?

120 credit hours is the new minimum. There are reasons that students will go over 120, as was the case with 128. Common reasons include changed majors and many transfer credit hours completed that are transferred in as equivalencies and thus do not count toward the degree; they will, however, be reported in your official transcripts.

When will the changes take effect?

All continuing students will automatically be moved to the 120 credit hour requirement effective August 17, 2020. The Office of the Registrar will implement this change on students’ degree audits. 

Can I opt-out of the change? 

Yes.  If you are a continuing student and wish to stay at the 128 credit hour requirement, you may do so by completing a form that will be available through your advisor.  

What does this mean for new students?

All new students, first-time freshmen, and transfer students will be required to complete a minimum of 120 credit hours for their undergraduate degree.  

Will this change effect the minimum required ECTS or the Austrian accredited degree?

No, the requirements for the Austrian-accredited degree remain unchanged, including ECTS credits.



Questions about your class

Where can I find the syllabus and or policies specific to my class?

Class policies (such as attendance) are listed on your class syllabus. Syllabi can be found on the Courses@WVPU database. Simply select your program, term, department, and then find your class. Click on the document icon to download your syllabus. 

How can I get my textbook for my class?

Textbooks and other printed materials required for Webster Vienna coursework are complementary with tuition. To collect these materials, you have to come to the Textbook Service located on the 4th floor. Opening hours will be posted on the textbook service and on the textbook service website. Please bring your student card, the course name, and number as well as the name of the course instructor to help us make sure you get the right books.

If you are not able to attend classes on campus due to visa issues, travel restrictions, or other limitations but will join remotely, we ask you to plan to order your books from your preferred suppliers. The university will reimburse you for all approved book purchases. To find out which book(s) you need to order, check the syllabi for your classes here.  

Our librarian Benjamin Fasching-Gray recommends that students in Vienna order from Facultas (www.facultas.at), but if you are in your home country you may order from any vendor you prefer. Booksellers that serve local universities may have your books in stock. The university will reimburse you for all approved book purchases.

To request reimbursement for your textbooks, please :

Fill out the reimbursement form;
Send the form to your advisor for approval; and
Send the approval email from your advisor, the form, and the invoice/proof of payment for the book to finance.students@webster.ac.at after the end of the first week of the term (after add/drop period is over). You will be refunded in full via bank transfer within seven working days upon submission of your request for reimbursement.

Why is the syllabus in Canvas/WroldClassRoom different than the one on Course@WVPU or absent?

When a course is created in Canvas/WorldClassRoom, the system automatically copies a standardized syllabus based on raw data from the catalog. The syllabus on Courses@WVPU, on the other hand, was submitted and approved by the department head locally. When students notice the difference, they should remind the instructor that the difference exists and request that the updated syllabus be uploaded to canvas/WC for consistency and ease.

I cannot find my class. Where do I go?

Course schedules, including room numbers, are available at Courses@WVPU. In addition, the course schedule is posted on the screen mounted on the wall by the entrance. If you cannot find the room, then you can ask at the reception for directions. 

My instructor is late / or is a no show. What should I do?

Please check your Webster email, as well as Canvas for any possible messages from your instructor. If there is no message, please wait fifteen minutes. If your instructor has still not shown up, you are free to leave. However, please inform the respective Department Head or Department Coordinators; if they are not available then the Office of the Director (room 1.26) or office.director@webster.ac.at.

Are the course evaluations anonymous?

Your feedback is completely anonymous; no traceable identifiers (such as IP address) are submitted to instructors or the university. Instructors also only receive the feedback only following the grade submission deadline. The exception for this is the Week 3 evaluation of new faculty. In this case the feedback is still anonymous (and no identifying elements such as handwriting are submitted to faculty.). These evaluations are critical for quality assurance and for faculty members in continuously improving their courses. Your honesty is very important. 



Finding Support: Advisors & Department Coordinators

Who is my advisor?

Your assigned academic advisor is listed in your Connections account, in Student Academic Services. 

How can I get in contact with my advisor?

To schedule an appointment with an advisor, please use the Student Success Portal, powered by Starfish. Just make sure that your profile is updated with your communication preferences and accurate time zone. Check out the “Student Getting Started Guide” for a tutorial on setting up your profile and making an appointment.

When should I see my academic advisor? With what kind of questions or issues can they help?

Faculty advisors, being experts in their fields, they are an ideal resource to provide academic guidance and give advice based on the specifics and the content of your major. Advisors can help you design the best possible academic experience at WVPU and are thus the right source for any questions related to your academic progress and degree planning. 

In order to ensure that your advisor will be able to dedicate sufficient time to your advising needs, please make sure to ALWAYS make an appointment using the starfish system and come prepared.

Please keep in mind that your faculty advisor will not be able to help you with the following nonacademic concerns:

  • Financial matters: please contact Ms. Nora Gyoerfi through finance.students[at]webster.ac.at.;
  • Transcripts for transfer credits (both graduate and undergraduate) from other institutions must be processed through the admissions department at admissions[at]webster.ac.at;
  • Certificates of Enrollment along with other official WVPU documents (should be requested at the front desk);
  • Questions regarding visas (initial application and renewals), health insurance, study abroad, and housing should be directed to the Student Resource Center
  • Career Services will help you with questions concerning your professional development;
  • For issues of a personal nature that might require Counseling Services;
  • If you should need special academic accommodations please contact Learning Support Services.

When should I see the Department Coordinator? With what kind of questions or issues can they help?

For general questions regarding the program or your department, you will have the individual department coordinators there to help you. Each of these coordinators is familiar with the academic programs and will be able to provide you with the orientation to the various services available at WVPU.

In particular, your department coordinator will be able to help you with

  • General questions about the program and the department;
  • Keeping you updated on departmental events;
  • Remaining informed about changes in the academic policies or program requirements;
  • Picking up and submitting drop and withdrawal forms;
  • Picking up and submitting add forms that have been signed by your faculty advisor;
  • The administrative process of the thesis;
  • Submitting your petition to graduate.




When and how do I get started on my thesis?

The university guidelines for your thesis can be found at http://webster.ac.at/thesis. This page contains links to both the departmental and general university guidelines. The general thesis guidelines supersede the departmental guidelines in the event of a discrepancy. 

The process for completing your thesis is outlined in the guidelines of your respective department.  However, you should start thinking about your thesis early! Approximately two to three two terms before you intend to register for thesis credit hours, you need to start approaching eligible instructors with your ideas about a thesis topic. From as early in your studies as possible, you should listen closely to suggestions about possible research topics in your courses.  If you feel stuck and cannot find a topic or a supervisor, make an appointment with your Department Head. They have an overview of topic areas in the department and can help you get started. 

The process and requirements of your thesis are outlined in the departmental guidelines at the following pages: 



What is a thesis proposal?

A thesis proposal details the aims, design, methods, planned analyses, and other relevant material, as well as includes a review of relevant literature.  The requirements of the thesis proposal are outlined in the Departmental Thesis Guidelines. The deadlines for submitting the proposal are also outlined in the guidelines, but they all fall early in the term before you are registered for your thesis.   Please note that Graduate students must submit a Declaration of Intent Form before starting on their proposal.  Deadlines for this are likewise listed in the Departmental Thesis Guidelines

Please review the general Webster Vienna University Thesis Guidelines. The general thesis guidelines supersede the departmental guidelines in the event of a discrepancy.

I don’t have a topic for my thesis. What do I do?

First, review the supervisor thesis topic areas that are available in your department (listed below).  If there is a research area you are interested in, you can make an appointment with that faculty member to discuss possible topics or their current research.  If you still don’t know where to start, make an appointment with your Department Head. They have an overview of topic areas in the department and can help you get started.  Once you have a general topic, the Writing Center can help you develop your topic into a research question.

Thesis Supervisor Topic Areas 

Where can I get help on my thesis?

In addition to your supervisor and reader, there are a number of resources available to help you with your thesis, outlined below.  

The Library 

The Library can help you get started in your research. You can schedule a one-on-one appointment and the library can help you find relevant literature in your topic area and introduce you to the full array of research tools.  The library also offers useful materials on research methodology and academic writing.

The Language Center 

The Language Center offers one-on-one tutoring with any aspect of expression: from reading comprehension to brainstorming, from grammar to the presentation of ideas, and from the first draft to the final revision of an assignment.

The Language Center also runs various helpful workshops which are periodically announced in the Bulletin distributed via Webster email. The Language Center will occasionally hold seminars about the thesis-writing process, and you encourage you to attend those events. 

The Quant Center 

The Quant Center comprises the faculty available to assist you in math or statistical questions related to your thesis.   Please click on the link to see the areas of expertise and office hours of the faculty. 


Transfer Credits

Can I transfer credits from an advanced placement high school program or courses at other universities?

For undergraduate students: If a student has graduated from an advanced standing program in their home country's high school, they may be eligible for transfer credits. Coursework completed at other accredited universities (for example, credits completed for a semester abroad) will also transfer to Webster University provided it is college-level (100 level or above) with a passing grade. A maximum of 64 US credit hours from a community college (a two-year school) and 90 US credit hours from a senior college (a four-year school) or more than 90 US credit hours from any combination of postsecondary schools can be transferred.

You will need to submit your official transcripts for evaluation of transfer credits. Please provide this information to your academic advisor and/or the Admissions department. For more information, please see: http://webster.ac.at/undergraduate-admissions/transfer-students

For graduate students, transfer credit granted for graduate-level university course work from other accredited institutions upon evaluation and approval as long as the courses were not counted toward a degree, and are relevant toward the intended program. You will need to provide a course syllabus and description in addition to the official transcript for evaluation. Please provide this information to your academic advisor. Graduate students may transfer up to 9 credit hours (equivalent to 3 courses) into an MBA program and up to 12 credit hours (equivalent to 4 courses) into an MA program.

Please note that transfer credits may affect Austrian Accreditation. 

Will transfer credits affect dual/accreditation?

Yes, transfer credits can affect Austrian accreditation. For undergraduate students, In order to receive Austrian accreditation, 70% of credits and 75% of major courses as well as 30 of the last 36 credits must be completed on campus. Graduate students must successfully complete 75% of total ECTS including a thesis at WVPU to earn a dually accredited degree. Both graduate and undergraduate cases, credits earned elsewhere or by other means (e.g. transfer, online, placement, aptitude tests, or study abroad) do not count as credits earned at WVPU. Students that successfully complete any program, but do not fulfill the conditions for dual-accreditation, will only receive the US-accredited degree. 

Please see your Department Coordinator if you have questions regarding your specific case. 

Can I take courses at other universities and WVPU simultaneously?

It is your own prerogative to pursue the second course of studies at other institutions at the same time as attending Webster Vienna Private University. However, if you wish to transfer credit from another institution to Webster, you should first submit an off-campus study request form signed by your advisor and a syllabus to your department coordinator.

The course will then be evaluated for relevance towards your intended study program as well as any course equivalency. The transfer of credits will only take place following the successful completion of the course and the submission of the official transcripts. Note that failing to obtain a prior evaluation of the course means that Webster cannot guarantee that any credits will be granted. Note that there is a maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied towards a Webster degree. 


Degree Audit

How do I access my degree audit?

You can access your degree audit via Student Academic Services in connections. For more information on how to access this, please see: http://www.webster.edu/technology/services/academicservices/studentinfor...

How do I read my degree audit?

Many students find the degree audits to be confusing. Please schedule an appointment department coordinator or your advisor in order to go over your degree audit and be sure that you understand it.

Why aren’t my IB/transfer credits showing in my degree audit?

It can take a few weeks from submitting the official transcripts before transferred credits appear on your academic record. Please note that all official 


Major / Minor

How do I change my major?

First, you should consult your current advisor. Then you should inform the department advisor. If your new major is in a different department, you will be assigned a new faculty advisor. 

How do I add a minor or 2nd major?

In order to add a minor or a second major, please email your department coordinator. Note that Business and Management students may only have one major. 

How many minors am I allowed?

Students with on major may have up to two minors. Students with two majors may only have one minor. 

How many majors am I allowed?

Students may have two majors; except Business and Management students, who may only have one major. 


Graduation Requirements

What do I need to do to graduate?

For undergraduates seeking the American degree:

  • Satisfy all requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in Webster University’s Undergraduate Course Catalog.

Once you have done that, you need to:

  • Complete at least 120 US credit hours.
  • Complete all major courses as determined by your catalog year.
  • Complete all GCP requirements.
  • Complete the undergraduate petition-to-graduate (complete the petition here)

For undergraduates seeking the Austrian degree in addition to the American degree:

  • Satisfy all requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in Webster University’s Undergraduate Course Catalog.
  • Satisfy all the requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in your student agreement with WVPU.

Once you have done that, you need to:  

  • Complete at least 120 US credit hours.
  • Complete all major courses as determined by your catalog year and local requirement as explained by your advisor and department coordinator.
  • Complete all GCP requirements.
  • Complete the bachelor’s thesis for your first major if you started in Summer 2016 or later.
  • Complete the undergraduate petition-to-graduate (complete the petition here).

When considering the above, be aware of the following:

  • Majors in the B&M department allow for only one D grade. If you have more than one D grade in your major, you must retake all but one of those courses.
  • No D grades can be used to complete majors in other departments, minors, or GCP requirements.
  • The GCP requires two courses each for the Roots of Culture and Social Systems and Human Behavior knowledge areas; those courses must have different department codes.
  • All important details pertaining to different degree requirements can be found in the degree audit in the text above each section.
  • Students are solely responsible for making sure they meet all requirements for graduation.

For Graduates, seeking the American degree, the requirements to graduate include: 

  • Satisfy all requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in Webster University’s Course Catalog.
  • Complete the Graduate petition to graduate.
  • All important details pertaining to different degree requirements can be found in the degree audit in the text above each section.
  • Students are solely responsible for making sure they meet all requirements for graduation.

For Graduates seeking the Austrian degree in addition to the American degree:

  • Satisfy all requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in Webster University’s Graduate Course Catalog.
  • Satisfy all the requirements for the respective degree as stipulated in your student agreement with WVPU.
  • Complete the Graduate petition to graduate
  • Successfully and defend your Master’s thesis
  • Complete 75% of all required program courses at WVPU
  • All important details pertaining to different degree requirements can be found in the degree audit in the text above each section.
  • Students are solely responsible for making sure they meet all requirements for graduation.

Who is eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony?

Students eligible to participate in commencement are all students who graduated the previous August, October, December, and March, and those who expect to finish all requirements by the end of the summer term and have 6or less credit hours left to complete at the time of graduation. 

What happens if I’m missing one class in order to graduate, but it's not offered? 

Most courses are offered on an alternating basis, and thus you should plan your degree based on course availability. In order to avoid this situation, make sure you see your advisor regularly and to plan your course progression together. If you already find yourself in this situation, please schedule an appointment with your advisor.  


Registration, Add &Drop

How do I register for a class?

  1. Check your degree audit in connections and consult your major roadmap for the courses you need to complete in the major. 
  2. Check your degree audit in connections and consult your GCP worksheet for the courses you need to complete in the GCP or your minor. 
  3. Check Courses@WVPU for courses on offer in the upcoming term or semester and compare those to the courses you still need to complete. Notes on cross-listing, course prerequisites, and scheduling irregularities for each course can be found at the bottom of the screen. 
  4. If a course fulfills a GCP requirement, a note with the knowledge area and the skill area will be listed in [brackets] behind the course name (ex. Design Concepts [ARTS/OCOM])
  5. Choose courses and complete the Registration Planning Sheet
  6. ​​​Course selections should adhere to all prerequisite requirements as indicated on the schedule and should be free of time conflicts.
  7. If you choose a course scheduled as TBA, please also provide an alternate course.
  8. Using Starfish, make an appointment with your faculty advisor to discuss your course selection and registration; 
  9. Make sure to schedule any appointments at least 24 hours in advance.
  10. Bring your completed Registration Planning Sheet to the meeting.
  11. After receiving your faculty advisor’s approval, please submit this form to your department coordinator(s). 

How can I add or drop a class?

Students can add a class: 

  • For 16, 5,8, or 9-week courses: Up to and including Friday of week one 
  • For 3-week courses (May term): Up to and including the first day of class 

Students can drop courses (for a full refund)

  • For 16, 5, 8, 9-week courses: Up to and including Friday of week 1
  • For 3-week courses (May term): Up to and including the first day of class 

Students can withdraw for a partial refund: 

  • For 16, 5, 8, 9-week courses: Up to and including Friday of week 2 for a 75% refund 
  • For 5, 8, 9 week courses: Up to and including Friday of week 2for a 50% refund
  • No partial refund possible for 3-week courses 

Students can withdraw for no refund: 

  • For a 16-week course: Up to and including the Friday of the 12th week 
  • For a 8 or 9 week course: Up to and including the Friday of the 6th week 
  • For 3 or 5 week courses:  Please speak to your Department Coordinator

In order to add or drop a course, you should submit the appropriate course Add / Drop or Withdrawal forms by the stated deadlines to your department coordinator. Please contact finance.students@webster.ac.at if you have any questions regarding the refund schedule or your academic advisor regarding adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course.

I have been waitlisted for a course – what do I do?

Attend the week 1 session of the class. If you are added to the class, you will be notified via your Webster email, so be sure to check it regularly. The course will also show up in your connections account. However, sometimes despite being added, it does not show up in WorldClassRoom (Canvas). IF that is the case, please contact your department coordinator. 

I need to miss the first class of a course – what do I do?

If you need to miss the first week of classes, be sure to contact the instructor. Students who do not attend the first session of any course and do not communicate their absence to the instructor prior to the first session will be automatically dropped from the course to free up space for those desiring to register for that course. 



Global Citizenship Program

What is the GCP program?

Practically speaking, the Global Citizenship Program is a set of undergraduate degree requirements and a general education program developed by Webster University faculty to help prepare students to confront global problems and 21stcentury challenges. As part of the program, faculty and external lecturers in philosophy, anthropology, sociology, history, literature, languages, science and the arts introduces students to contemporary research in disciplines essential to all fields of study through a series of degree requirements and electives in the liberal arts.

To complete the Global Citizenship Program, students will take two seminars, the First-year Seminar as new students and the Global Keystone Seminar as juniors. In addition, students will complete eight courses of at least three credit hours each in the general education portion of the program. 

What GCP requirements do I need to complete before graduation?

  • Degree requirements – 6 credit hours as indicated below:
  1. FRSH 1200 First Year Seminar 3 credit hours (Required for all students, see below for substitute courses for transfer students.) 
  2. Global Citizenship Program Keystone Seminar 3 credit hours (Required for all students.)
  • General Course Requirements: 24 credit hours of knowledge/skills courses. Each GCP course is coded for a knowledge area and a skill. You need: 

Knowledge Areas:

  1. 6 credit hours from courses with two different prefixes designated 'Roots of Cultures.
  2. 6 credit hours from courses with two different prefixes designated 'Social Systems and Human Behavior.'
  3. 3 credit hours from courses designated 'Physical and Natural World.'
  4. 3 credit hours from courses designated 'Global Understanding.' (NOTE: Non-native English speakers are exempt from this requirement) 
  5. 3 credit hours from courses designated 'Arts Appreciation' 
  6. 3 credit hours from courses designated for 'Quantitative Literacy.'

Skill Areas: 

  • All students must complete three credit hours in courses coded for each of the following skills:
  1. Written Communication
  2. Oral Communication
  3. Critical Thinking
  4. Intercultural Competence ' (NOTE: Non-native English speakers are exempt from this requirement) 
  5. Ethical Reasoning

Note: Students will usually complete the Skills Requirement with courses in the GCP Course Requirements but may also complete it with appropriately coded courses within their major, or within other coded courses not part of the GCP. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: Students who have a first or native language that is not English and students who are bilingual, even if English is one of those languages, are exempt from the Global Understanding and Intercultural Competence Requirements for GCP.

For more information on the GCP program, see About the GCP Program. In addition, the GCP Worksheet is a helpful tool for tracking and checking your GCP completion. 

Can I use courses from my major in the GCP?

No, courses from the major will not count to fulfill GCP requirements, except for double majors. 

If I double major, how many courses can I use toward GCP from each major?

No courses used to fulfill the course requirements of a student's first major may be used to satisfy Global Citizenship Program Course Requirements. 

Courses in a second major or in a minor or certificate program may be used to satisfy Global Citizenship Program requirements. Special accommodations are made adjusting this requirement for a small number of majors with high credit-hour requirements, as indicated in the description of the specific major. 


Dual accreditation

What is dual Accreditation?

Dual accreditation refers to the fact that Webster Vienna Private University is accredited in both the US and Austria.

 Webster University is accredited in the United States by the Higher Learning Commission. The accreditation, which was first awarded in 1925, includes undergraduate and graduate degree programs at all locations worldwide where Webster University offers its programs.

In Austria, Webster Vienna Private University is accredited by The Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ Austria) as an Austrian Private University. Webster Vienna Private University has held Austrian accreditation since 2001. 

Students who complete the requirements for dual-accreditation will receive both a US diploma and transcript, plus a WVPU diploma and a "Diploma Supplement" as part of the Austrian degree which specifies the ECTS credits commonly used in Europe (Bologna Process).

For more information about the diploma supplement, please see the diploma supplement page of the Austrian Ministry for Education, Science and Research,  and the page of the European Commission.  

How can I make sure I will receive an Austrian-accredited degree?

Undergraduate students:  In order to receive Austrian accreditation, 70% of credits and 75% of major courses as well as 30 of the last 36 credits must be completed on campus.

Graduate students must successfully complete 75% of total ECTS including a thesis at WVPU to earn a dually accredited degree.

For both graduate and undergraduate students, credits earned elsewhere or by other means (e.g. transfer, online, placement, aptitude tests, or study abroad) do not count as credits earned at WVPU. Students that successfully complete any program, but do not fulfill the conditions for dual accreditation, will only receive the US-accredited degree. Please see your Department Coordinator if you have questions regarding your specific case. 


Online Courses

I’m registered for an online course. Where do I get my textbook?

You should order your textbook far in advance of your online class. You can find information on what textbook your class will be using on the Webster University bookstore site. Here is a short tutorial in how to find your textbooks. However, to order the book(s), we highly recommend that you chose a European bookseller (e.g. Facultas or Kuppitsch in Austria).
An order from the US will take much longer to arrive and cost you extra because of shipping and customs.

You will need to purchase the textbooks for the course yourself and submit the Request for Reimbursement Form, invoice(s), and proof of payment (usually in the form of a copy of your bank statement showing the deduction), to your faculty advisor once the course has ended so we can reimburse you.

Will taking online courses affect receiving an Austrian-accredited degree?

Yes. Undergraduate students, in order to receive Austrian accreditation, must complete 70% of credits and 75% of major courses as well as 30 of the last 36 credits on campus.

Graduate students must successfully complete 75% of total ECTS including a thesis at WVPU to earn a dually accredited degree. For both graduate and undergraduate students, credits earned elsewhere or by other means, including online courses, do not count as credits earned at WVPU. Students that successfully complete any program, but do not fulfill the conditions for dual-accreditation, will only receive the US-accredited degree. Please see your Department Coordinator if you have questions regarding your specific case


Official Documents and Records

Where can I request a certificate of enrolment, “studienblatt”, or proof of performance?

At the beginning of each semester all students registered for courses during that semester will receive a documentation package, including a Certificate of Enrolment, “Studienblatt” and Proof of Performance. These are available for pickup at the front desk. Graduating students requesting a Graduation Attestation document will receive it free of charge.

If a student needs any of the above documents issued again, they can request it using the request form. Copies of the official documents will be issued against a fee. Please see here for more information. 

How do I order an official transcript?

Official transcripts can be requested via http://www.webster.edu/academics/transcripts.html. There is a $15.00 fee per transcript and a $2.25 surcharge per order (not per transcript), payable by credit card. 

When will I receive my diploma?

You will receive your diploma approximately three months following the conferral of your degree. At that time, the Office of the Registrar in Vienna will contact you at your Webster email address to confirm your mailing address, and then both your US and Austrian diplomas will be mailed to you. If you have any questions about this process, please contact Ms. Petra Bocus-Thurn.

How do I update my address and other contact information?

Please fill out the change in the address form and bring it to the reception. Printed copies are also available right at the reception. Alternatively, email the form to petra.bocus-thurn@webster.ac.at.

Where do I find a copy of the WVPU Student Agreement?

You can find a blank copy of the WVPU Student Agreement on our student policies webpage.



What scholarships are available?

For information on available scholarships, please see the Scholarships page on our website. For more information on what scholarships you may be eligible for, please contact scholarship[@]webster.ac.at. 

What are the tuition and fees?

For information on the current tuition and fees, please see the Tuition and Fees page on our website. 

When will I be informed about my tuition fees for the semester?

A statement of tuition and fees can be produced following course registration beginning at the below dates:

  • Summer Term: around the second week of May each year
  • Fall Semester: around the second week of July each year
  • Spring Semester: around the second week of December each year

The tuition fee is charged and payable on a semester basis and it is calculated based on the credit hours registered for the semester. Registration for courses is required to ensure an accurate calculation of the tuition charges. Please make sure to register for courses as soon as possible so that your financial statement can be delivered in time. There are official registration periods (more information from the academic departments) for each semester. Please use them. You may change your registration during the first week of a term, but please note that the purpose of this week is not to start your registration. Official statements of tuition fees can be issued the day after registration for courses and sent to the student´s Webster email address. The fee can also be calculated by the students based on the information published on the Tuition and Fees page and the number of registered credit hours.

How can I pay my tuition?

The tuition fee is payable on a semester basis per bank transfer. Webster Vienna Private University offers the possibility to split the payments in installments. Students who want to split the payment need to apply for one of the installment payment models using our online installment application form or sending an email to finance.students[at]webster.ac.at. Students who applied for a payment plan will receive per email a personalized payment plan with the payment deadlines and amounts. For more information, including the bank account information, and installment models, please see http://webster.ac.at/registration-and-payment. 

I can’t pay my tuition this semester, what can I do?

Please arrange an appointment or phone call with the student finance office as soon as possible, at finance.students@webster.ac.at. There are a number of options that might help you, including personalized payment plans or even private loan programs. The Student Finance Officer will be able to review your options with you will strive to find a solution that will not result in the interruption of your studies!

What are the payment deadlines?

The first payment deadline for a semester is always the Friday before the courses start. Further deadlines for payment in installments are available on the website and will be informed in the personalized payment plan.

Will I get a refund if I drop or withdraw from a course?

If you drop a course during the first week, you can get a 100% tuition refund. If you withdraw from a course later, you might be eligible for a partial refund depending on the date of your withdrawal.

For detailed information about drop & withdrawal deadlines for refund, please see our website.